Friday, August 2, 2013

Pray Without Ceasing!


KJV - Luke 18:-1-7 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; (2) Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: (3) And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. (4) And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; (5) Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. (6) And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. (7) And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

NIV - Luke 18:1  Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. (2) He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. (3) And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’ (4)  “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care about men, (5) yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually wear me out with her coming!’”  (6)  And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says.  (7) And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?.

When I was young, my first job was cutting yards. In a week’s time, I would cut 7-10 yards to make money.  The one thing that I really hated about my little business was having to collect money.  I always felt like that if I took it upon myself to cut the grass, as agreed upon, the they ought to likewise take it upon themselves to pay me what we had agreed on.  I hated to ask.  I always felt like I was begging.

In a similar way, I think a lot of us are hesitant about pestering God.   We hate to ask for the same thing over and over again.  If you have ever had that reservation.  This passage is for you.

The whole purpose of this teaching of Jesus is to encourage us “always to pray and not faint”.  Jesus knows our tendencies and so he aims to put us at ease.  He tells in a parable of a woman who comes to a judges house repeatedly and often, asking for the judges help in a matter.  At first the judge declines, but do to her perception he finally grants her wish.

Jesus concludes this parable by asking a rhetorical question:  If a godless judge will do what is asked in such a situation, Won’t God the father also answer when pleaded with?  The answer of course is obvious.  Of course!

God loves his children and wants the best for them and wants to assist them in their burdens.

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Reflecting His SON,  
Dennis Hogan
Minister, North Hardin Church of Christ

1804 Sam Steward Dr.
Radcliff, KY  40160

Questions, comments or  further explanation?  Contact me at:  dennis.hogan@icloud.com
If you have friends, family, or acquaintances that you feel could benefit from RTS, please forward 
their e-mail address to me and I will add them to my mail list.

No comments:

Post a Comment