Monday, April 1, 2013

Christianity Is Not That Private!


Luke 12:8-9 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:  (9) But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.

I have heard many people state over the years that their relationship with God is a private matter between them and God.  To an extent, that is certainly true.  There are many thoughts and actions that only God knows about and therefore, it can remain private.  However, From a different perspective it isn’t....according to Jesus.

At some point in time in life, we have to stand up and be counted.  We have to demonstrate our loyalties.  We have to definitively choose sides.  I can assure you, that I would have a MISERABLE relationship with my wife if I told her that I wanted to keep our relationship “just between us”.  If I were to tell her I didn’t want to show any signs of having a relationship, I didn’t want to tell anyone, I didn’t want to wear a ring, I didn’t ever want to be seen in public with her, I didn’t want her to take my name, etc., how long would our relationship last?  I can assure you not very long.  At some point, my wife will want to be acknowledged as being the most significant person in my life, and she will want me to be open enough about it that I an willing to let the world know.  Just because I have made my relationship public by officially marrying her, doesn’t mean that I open every conversation with:  “Hi...I am Peggy’s husband”.

God wants a relationship with us to be very similar.  We do not have to be obnoxious and start every sentence with “Can I tell you about Jesus”.  But at some point in time, God expects that we will not be ashamed to claim God for our own.  That is why Jesus makes the statement in our text today.  If we are willing to acknowledge that we are loyal to God, that we are his child, that we serve him, then God is willing to acknowledge us, especially when it counts most....on the day of judgement.  However, if we are not willing let others know what God has done in our lives, God will equally deny us as well.

If we discovered a earth shattering product, who wouldn’t we tell about it?  God has blessed us far greater than any invention of man, therefore, he would like to be acknowledged as a part of our lives.  If we cannot find it in ourselves to give God his due, then God will treat us like a stranger.

It is our choice!

Reflecting His SON,  
Dennis Hogan
Minister, North Hardin Church of Christ

1804 Sam Stewart Dr.
Radcliff, KY  40160

Questions, comments or  further explanation?  Contact me at:  dennis.hogan@icloud.com
If you have friends, family, or acquaintances that you feel could benefit from RTS, please forward 
their e-mail address to me and I will add them to my mail list.

No comments:

Post a Comment