Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Teach Us to Pray! - God is a Giver!


Luke 11:11-13 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? (12) Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? (13) If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? 

As Jesus concludes his teaching on prayer, he gives us deeper insight on the nature of God.  God throughout the Bible is described as Father, because of his love, concern and giving nature towards his creation.  

As a loving Father, he knows what we want. He knows what we need and furthermore he knows how to give us those things that we need.  One of the criticisms that some have with God, is that some interpret their not receiving what they ask for as God not hearing or wanting to help.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.

In our text today, Jesus compares how that as earthly parents, we know how to give our children what they need, so how much more does God, our creator know how to give good gifts to us. 

God will not always give us what we want, but he will give us what we need.  But what Jesus does not say here, I believe to be equally important.  Sometimes, as a father, my child may sometimes ask for things that I know are ultimately harmful.  Do I give it to her JUST because she asks.  Certainly not.  As a loving Father, I will give her what is best for her rather than what she asks for.  I believe in this principle, Jesus is teaching the same thing.  Are there times that we think we know what is best for us (but we don’t) and ask for one thing, and God will give us something different?  I certainly think so.  I think there are times that we mouth the words and they are as if asking for a stone because we see it as bread.  What will God give us then?  A stone or bread?  According to Jesus God knows how to give us Good gifts....gifts that we need, rather than what we necessarily ask for.

I for one, want God to do what is best for me.  Therefore I must have the faith to believe that God, as a loving Father, hears me and gives me what I need.  Thank God that he does not only give me what I ask for or I would be in a world of hurt.

Reflecting His SON,  
Dennis Hogan
Minister, North Hardin Church of Christ

North Hardin Church of Christ
1804 Sam Stewart Dr.
Radcliff, KY  40160
Come Visit With Us!


Questions, comments or  further explanation?  Contact me at:  dennis.hogan@icloud.com
If you have friends, family, or acquaintances that you feel could benefit from RTS, please forward 
their e-mail address to me and I will add them to my mail list.

No comments:

Post a Comment