Thursday, January 3, 2013

Are You Ashamed of God?


Luke 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father’s, and of the holy angels. 

I can remember being a teenager and not always seeing eye to eye with my parents. In fact, from the perspective of a “young adult” my parents were just plain wrong at times and it was hard to promote my parents decrees as if I agreed with them.  In other words, at times, I was ASHAMED of my parent’s rules and restrictions.  I was ASHAMED that they would not let me go to parties that we all knew had drinking and other “seedy”activities.  I was ASHAMED that my parents restricted me on whom I could date, because they wanted me to marry a Christian woman that would help me be a better Christian!

Please make sure you understand this distinction.  There is a significant difference between not completely understanding and/or completely agreeing with a particular command and being ashamed of it.  There are many commands of God that I do not understand the “whys” of.  There are even some ordinances in place that I do not necessarily agree with.  But because of my love for my Father and Savior...because I want to please my God....because of what he has done for me, I will keep them and defend them to the death.

On the other hand, if one is ashamed of a command, two separated things usually takes place. First, they will simply disobey it.   In all honesty, however, their disobedience is not simple at all. It is carefully thought about and the law completely disregarded as having NO legitimacy.  But secondly, those ashamed of God’s commands also will generally ridicule and mock those commands.  They will declare them as being out of touch, out of date, short sighted, narrow minded, old fashioned, or just plain restricting fun and or happiness.  They are ASHAMED of those laws.

There are many commands in the Word of God that many so-called religious people are ashamed of.  This bog does not have the time or space to deal with them.  Just one example though to make my point.  Ever increasingly are religious people becoming ASHAMED of the Bible’s clear and unambiguous teaching against homosexuality.  However, the religious world is embracing that sinful behavior more and more all of the time.  They not only disobey it, they make fun of the religious folks that still support the Bible’s teachings.

Notice carefully how Jesus sees this now.  If you are ashamed of his words (i.e. his laws commandments and restrictions) you are ASHAMED of HIM!  Now notice what that actually means!

Luke 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father’s, and of the holy angels.

Jesus will be ashamed of us.  Remember, there are only two paths.  Righteousness and Unrighteousness.  Pleasing or Ashamed.  Heaven or Hell.  The implication is obvious.  If  we are ashamed of him and his teachings, He will be ashamed of us when it counts the most....and we will be lost.


Reflecting the SON, 
Dennis Hogan


Questions, comments or  further explanation?  Contact me at:  dennis.hogan@icloud.com
If you have friends, family, or acquaintances that you feel could benefit from RTS, please forward 
their e-mail address to me and I will add them to my mail list.

No comments:

Post a Comment