Tuesday, August 21, 2012

He Spoke with Authority!


Luke 4:31-32 And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days. (32) And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power (authority). 

As Jesus travelled around Israel during his ministry, the one thing that he did consistently was to teach and/or preach.  We are told that his purpose in his existence was to SEEK and to SAVE the lost.  Salvation, from a spiritual stand point, is offered through knowledge so Jesus spread the message of salvation through his teaching.

But Jesus’ teaching is different, and it was recognizable by those that heard.  Jesus spoke with Authority.  This is not a description of his preaching style, but rather the foundation from which the truth comes.

When I preach each Sunday I stress to encourage every member to take their Bibles and turn with me to the passages that I use.  I want everyone to SEE the authority from which I speak.  I say “that if I am doing my mission correctly that I am ONLY reflecting what the Bible says.”  

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 

A preacher should NEVER give his own opinions, ideas or philosophies as it pertains to ANY spiritual matters.  

But Jesus was different.  Jesus spoke with authority.  He was the source of the truth!  He was not just perpetuating the teachings of the Old Law....He was establishing a NEW Law!

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 

So why is Jesus able to speak with authority?  Why is it that he was able to establish a new covenant?  Three Reasons:

1.  He is God!

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 

2.  He is the Son of God

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; 

3.  He is the Founder Christianity

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 

If Jesus is all of those things...and he is.  If Jesus is spoke with such authority, doesn’t it stand to reason that we should listen to him as an authority?  When I was growing up, I remember a series of E.F. Hutton commercials.  In them, two people would be talking in a public setting and one would say:  “My broker is E.F. Hutton and E.F. Hutton says.....”
And the entire room would stop what it was doing and listen intently for what was about to be said.

Jesus is far, FAR more significant that EF Hutton.  What Jesus talks about is enormously more important than stocks and bonds.  Therefore, shouldn’t we follow that lead of those in the commercial and listen to EVERY word that Jesus teaches and have the courage to apply it to our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment