Wednesday, March 14, 2012

That We All May Be One!

John 17:20-21 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; (21) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.


As we continue in the book of John, we are still in the chapter where John is recording a prayer of Jesus that he is offering in the presence of his apostles as they are gathered to partake of Jesus’ last passover. In doing so, Jesus has just established the Lord’s Supper and is giving his apostles final instructions before his death. In just a matter of a few hours, Jesus will be arrested and put to death. So this prayer is important so that they know the importance of their role in spreading the Gospel after Jesus’ departure.


In the text today, Jesus starts off by stating, “Neither I pray for these alone (the apostles) but for them that believe on me through their word”. That group of people would include all of those that are New Testament Christians. That could include you and me. Jesus is offering this part of the prayer for us .... So what does he want for us?


John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.


He wants his believers, his followers .... All christians .... to be One. Jesus is praying for Christian UNITY! I have to think that this is pretty important since this prayer is being offered in this setting. We know that Jesus, leaves this setting and goes to the Garden of Gethsemene and prays to God privately, but this is one of the last prayers he will ever offer.


Would you say that “Unity” is an accurate description of Christendom today? Absolutely not! First we need to understand what unity is. Is unity just agreeing on a few “key” topics of Christianity? Is true unity agreeing to get along in spite of differences? Is unity just everyone wearing the same name of Christian? Absolutely not! All of those things describe the current state of Christendom. But according to the Bible that is NOT UNITY!


Look how Jesus describes unity? That we might be ONE as God and Jesus are one! Do God and Jesus ONLY agree on a few key topics? Do they just agree to get along in spite of difference? Are they satisfied just to wear the same name? Come on .... That is a joke. God and Jesus are in perfect HARMONY.


Perfect harmony is the way in which we are to have unity as well.


1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.


The apostle Paul deals with this very problem. He stated that unity should follow this pattern .....which is a great commentary or what Jesus prayed.

1. We should all speak the same thing

2 Be NO division Among You

3. Be Perfectly Join together in the Same Mind

4. Be Perfectly Join together in the Same Judgement


Again ... Perfect harmony! But what is the COMMON standard that we should all come together? By my opinion? By your opinion? By societal norms? By Democratic Vote? NO! By the Will of God and his Word! By TRUTH!


John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.


John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.


Even Jesus himself said that of his own self he did NOTHING. Because he only seeks the will of the the Father. If everyone TRULLY sought the will of God and had the courage to submit himself fully to it, and to disregard our own thoughts, feelings and opinions, we could achieve the unity that Jesus prayed for.


No comments:

Post a Comment